Thursday, April 26, 2012

He-Man: Masters of the Universe [1987]

Recently I have been struggling with some issues. Sometimes it seems as if things are a little hopeless. So I turned to Psalm 88 for some encouragement. Heman, a musician for King David, is the psalmist, but he was in moments of despair. Now, Psalm 88 has absolutely nothing to do with Masters of the Universe, but the psalmist, Heman, made me think back to He-Man. 

I'm not saying you or I should seek refuge in movies, but we were made in the image of God so we can enjoy the act of creating because God is the ultimate creator. We get our creative abilities directly from him. And He-Man: Masters of the Universe certainly did a great job of cheering me up tonight. In a way, the movie wraps up a lot of the '80s in general.

So let's take a trip back in time. It was the year I was born, 1987, when He-Man: Masters of the Universe hit the silver screen. Either few people know about this movie or they just don't remember it in all of its glory. But, at the same time, there is good reason for that. This movie barely made it.

Remember Drago from Rocky IV? Yeah, me either. I never watched any of the Rocky movies. [shocking] But, I did watch Masters of the Universe starring Drago (Dolph Lundgren) who happens to be from Stockholm. Just in case you are wondering who in the world Dolph Lundgren is, don't worry because those were the only two major films he ever played in. The movie also stars Frank Langella (the voice of Archer in Small Soldiers; Richard Nixon in Frost/Nixon; and Louis Zabel in Wall Street) as Skeletor, Billy Barty (Tommy Trimble in the Waltons and High Aldwin in Willow) as Gwildor, and... Courtney Cox (need I list her films?) as Julie Winston.

Maybe Courtney Cox is the only one you will remember, but who cares. This is a fantastic movie. And by that I mean it is fun. It's not a cult classic, it won't be known for any kind of great screenplay, and certainly the acting is not going to change your life. But you will have fun. It's cheesy, but it's fun.

So, just in case you watched this as a kid and would like to return to your childhood, here it is. The entire film. It's rated PG so don't fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment